Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nauvoo Haus

Well, I'm gearing up to build a homestead. The picture of Dereks fathers cabin didn't initiate the urge but it did make me jealous and I'm hoping I can use that jealousy as a catalyst in focusing on the project.

It wont be anything as elaborate.. in fact the cabin I will be building will eventually be a garage / loft for friends that come to visit when we put the main cottage up, but it will be significant. 22 x 30' with a kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms. The dining area will eventually be the garage part.

So in preparation for "the big event" I am making sure all the gears are oiled. That includes documentation (This blog will serve sufficient).

I honestly feel I am already in over my head just by thinking about doing it so I hope to collect any pointers or insight others might have as I lay out my plans. So far all I know about building a cabin is I want to grow a bushy beard and go shirtless on a couple of the days when the mosquitoes aren't so bad. I think thats a good start.

Oh and I have a name for it too. It is based on D & C 124: 22,23,and 60 and my brother has already given me the perfect Christmas gift to get going. It is a 3 foot wooden sign with a German touch.


3 comments:

D said...

Just to clarify, those pictures I put up are of my parents' HOUSE, not their cabin. It just so happens that their house looks like a cabin.

Start growing that beard.

Ryan and Katie said...

Pretty excited to see this....

Jessica said...

I can't chop wood but I'm a great cheerleader! Go, Eric, Go!!