Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I am not the Saint John Idol

Tonight I ate at my favorite pub in Saint John New Brunswick. Churchills pub. Seaford chowder and Jumbalaya. The best I've ever had. Then I strolled down to the harbour and heard a commotion. It was Saint John Idol. There were a lot of contestants, some good singing, alot of sappy songs and some general admission judges giving me their opinions on the performances. It was great. One 60 year old man told me a girls voice was so horrible she should have been cut off mid song. He thinks the judge went too easy on her. Anyway, I thought the contestants all did well. Perhaps because I imagined myself up there making a fool of myself I was better able to appreciate the performances of the others.

I'll let that seguay into my response to a tag Jessica got me with. I may not be a fit Saint John idol but here is what I am:

Places I worked...
1. A computer programmer for onlinetel ( irony: I dont know a thing about prog.)
2. Assistant manager- Pure Page (GTA paging provider)
3. Mystery shopper
4. Department of National defense

Movies I can watch over and over...
1. the prestige
2. foreign films (tsotsi, beijing bycicle, the mission, kolya, Chocolat etc.)
3. Recycled School Sagas
4. I don't like it so much but its trippin to watch groundhog day over and over.

Places I've lived...
1. Birth place of Alex Trebek
2. Home of A. Graham Bell and James Hillier(inventors of phone and elect. microscope)
3. The only walled North American city north of Mexico
4. Birthplace of Jacques Cartier

Favourite TV shows...
1. No Contest - Magnum P.I.
2. Beauty and the Geek
3. Big Break
4. Sportsdesk (the 30 seconds they devote to non hockey sports)

Places I've been...
1. San Blas
2. Moret
3. Swastika
4. Neuschwanstein

Favourite foods...
1. Grec sandwich (from france)
2. Melona
3. Free stuff and buffet items
4. Roti

Majors I'm considering...
1. Chemical engineering
2. Political Science
3. International business
4. Aboriginal studies and languages

Places Id rather be...

1. Katmandu
2. Bhutan (can you tell I have an affinity to the Himilayas?
3. Indian wells
4. Cape town

People Id like to tag...

1. Dana Carvey
2. Elvis (if you are reading this)
3. One of the 3 nephites
4. Paul Bunyon and his Blue Ox

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Explain choosing Beijing Bicycle please.

Eric Jakob said...

Its quirky I know but I kinda like being alone with my thoughts and so I could relate with the boy a bit. Having to try to guess what he was thinking. I also am interested in the setting and culture of Beijing suburbia.

jenjakob said...

Ok. I know that I am the spelling nazi, and I let a few necessary commas and spelling errors go BUT I laughed when it came to Paul Bunion. I think his name is spelled Bunyan - a bunion is a nasty, knobby thing on someone's foot. It made me laugh.

ej said...

Ha ha. Two hearts as one. I killed myself laughing when I saw Bunion too.

Brother: must be genetic, only how dare you deny roti the one spot. Were you there at Christmas when I tried to make it? What a messup, but I swear I will learn it proper before I come home.

I'm headed to India for a masters in Indian Art and Cultural History. I'll give Bhutan your admirations.

Eric Jakob said...

In my defense... I originally wrote Bunion and then caught it myself and changed it. I must have forgot to save changes.

You girls are tough.

Eric

Jessica said...

Oh I love Kolya too. When he's in the bathtub and pretending to talk to his dead grandma using the shower head as a phone...oh, it always gets me.

Sheldon knows how to make roti. He gladly makes it for people as long as they're willing to roll up their sleeves to help.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.