Sunday, July 8, 2007

Repentance


By nature, sons are prone to please their fathers from time to time. A good decision, heeding the council a father has given, learning or accomplishing something never done before. I can think of a few moments in time that have produced proud fathers.

Cal Ripken Jr. playing in a record breaking 2632 games straight

The Wright Brothers making their first controlled, powered, heavier-than-air human flight

Nephi building a bow and obtaining food

Christ triumphing over Gethsemane

However, it doesn't take a monumental feat to make a father proud. Anyone who is a father, as I am, can experience these feelings daily.

Today was a special moment for Konrad and I. A while back I told him that when he takes the sacrament bread he should think about Jesus and when taking the sacrament water we should think of all of the things we did wrong that week and think about how to do them better the next week. He impressed me the next week when I asked him what we should think of when we take the bread. "Jesus" he replied. When we took the water he came to me and told me how he didn't share his treat with Anders that week. He remembered what to do! Now during sacrament he sits on my knee and I wisper a story of Jesus to him during the bread and when the water comes we take turns confessing our sins. We then commit to not do it this week. Eating too much, not helping out enough with housework etc. Not unsurmountable sins but I hope the pattern will remain when the weightier stuff rears its head. Its lovely. He is lovely.

No comments: