Monday, July 30, 2007

Long Drive and Good Riddance


Saturday I capped off a week in the maritimes with a golf long drive contest in Halifax. There were 3 competitions throughout the day. I competed in the morning session. The day was so hot that when I took my clubs out of the car the epoxy holding them together had liquified. This was revealed to me when after my second swing of 6 balls my clubhead ended up about 150 yards downfield. Luckily I still had 1 more driver. The clubhead was half off of that and I knew I only had a few more swings left with it.

On my 4th ball I knocked the sun tan off the ball. It went 348 yards in the air. I say in the air because I went out to check out the landing area and noticed it was all thick moss. I was told that every ball hit that day landed, bounced about 1 foot up in the air and stopped dead.

It was enough to secure me 2nd place and a spot in the district finals held in Montreal in September. (www.longdrivers.com has not yet been updated so the link is to an unofficial longdrive site)

Yesterday (Sunday) we went out to the lake for a picnic. I'm glad that Derek and Rachelle could come with us (I'm glad the Lee Wens were there too) because it is the last time we will see them. D and I have been pretty close friends here in Ottawa for the last 6 or so years. We seem to have a lot of the same interests and a similar appetite. I consider anyone who can eat well to be my friend. It's sad to see them go, but it happens. They will be missed by many. They have contributed a lot to our ward and we are grateful.

I know it will be an adventure for them next week driving accross Canada in that truck of theirs but it may get gruelling at times. Don't drive on top of Lake Superior from Sault Ste Marie to Wawa to Thunder Bay at night. You are guaranteed to hit a moose. I guarantee you'll see one at any point in the day. Maybe a bear too. But even the truckers spend the night in the Sault. If you do, bring a sharp knife to at least salvage the meat. Oh and a camera to properly blog about it.

Incidentally, yesterday at the lake Anders was wading out in the water and got in over his head. It was a scary moment. I'm so glad he made a noise and I heard him. When I was explaining to Konrad how serious it was and that we almost had to say good bye to him for the rest of our life he replied "No, its not so bad daddy, we can just name another one Anders" I guess I went a little too deep for him. I can't believe he is that insensitive.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

He isn't insensitive, he's four!

D said...

Congrats on the long drive finish. That's pretty wicked that you did it on mushy clubs.

It was great to see your place on the lake. We'll have to come back and mooch a stay from you when it's all finished.